Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mighty Manfred the wonder dog

Huge excitement here at Chez Shoes -
My little sister is coming for a visit!!

If you had known us growing up, my joy over her visit
would leave you confused - we have not always been close.
Back in the day, she was a 'good' girl: cheerleader, social butterfly,
our mother's favorite daughter.
And me?
I was not.
However, as is perhaps the case with many sisters and brothers,
the alchemy of death and calamity and the passing of time
changed almost everything, and we now find in one another
that ideal friend who knows your entire past and loves you anyway.
Realistic sanctuary - a true gift.
This visit, though I hesitate to even say it, will be the first
one in years that does not revolve around a hospital,
a rehab center, or the dreaded funeral home.
If we can keep it that way, this week will be a lot of fun.
Our schedule currently looks like this:
1. Make cheese enchiladas
After that - who cares.

My sister's nickname is Mani (or festus),
short for manifest destiny - which was itself a bastardization
of the original Mighty Manfred, the wonder dog - (no idea why).
One might think that would make me Tom Terrific, but such is not the case.
I too am Mani, or Clem - which is short for nothing
but has cleared us a booth more than once in the
bars and restaurants of Wyoming and Colorado.
The ferry arrives at 1 p.m. -
I cannot wait!



bs

Oh - many thanks again for all the kind wishes re
'Operation Inner Sanctum'.
I am doing well, and appreciate the good thoughts immensely.
Yikes - I am in such a good mood it's almost sickening.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Ah, siblings! I hope you have a great time with yours when she gets off the ferry. Thank you for the encouragement - perhaps I will see more. You are an excellent writer, there is much to learn from you. Thanks Brown Shoes :)

ian gordon said...

I love seeing my sisters. Crazy, but when I first read "Catcher In The Rye" (aged about 16), I used to think Haulden and his kid sister Pheobe were just like me and my kid sister.

Nothing's thicker than blood. Tony Soprano would understand...

RJ March said...

Damn! You ARE in a good mood! You're gonna have a ball. I might see my little sister this weekend-- I used to call her Beans, as in Chicken Noodle Beans, which makes no sense, but I was 18 when she was born-- I have no excuse.

Love to you, lady.

Alicia M B Ballard StudioGaleria said...

brown shoes - a sister - I would looove to have a sister, particularly the kind you have both now grown into...
enjoy the gift of each other - enchiladas and obviously all the "who cares"

ian gordon said...

Hmmmmm.... It's rather quiet 'round here... maybe the cheese enchiladas didn't work out?