Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Reefer Madness

It's official.

Sears (Satan's Evil And Repugnant Servant) has won.
The new refrigerator returned last night to the hell from whence it came,
and we feel much better about not having a fridge
now that we really don't have one sitting in our kitchen anymore.
I seem to recall a few moments of bliss, way back when the thing first arrived.
It was so roomy and functional and well lit that just looking inside
made me feel organized and capable.
And the freezer-on-the-bottom concept was both a pleasing nod to the old days
and a modernization that made me feel...well, modern.
But all that was before we realized that we had purchased the devil's workshop
and hauled it home to the heart of our house.
I'll spare you the gory details and the ugly epitaphs we've hurled -
and just admit that we're back to square one - older, wiser
and armed with holy water
as we depart the castle in search of a working refrigerator.

It's been slim pickins at Chez Shoes for the last month.
When you're not sleeping on the ground surrounded by wilderness
cooking out of a cooler is more annoyance than challenge.
My best friends?
Top Ramen and cereal, with an occasional visit
from funky salad greens
and spongy cheese on toast.
However, I realize that I am still so very lucky, sitting here on my ass,
grousing about inconvenience beneath the safety of my intact roof.
I could have it so much worse...
there are so many who do.


bs

4 comments:

RJ March said...

Sometimes I wonder how I did without a remote control, a wireless phone, and the Internet. But I never imagined life without a refrigerator. I'm pretty sure they were invented by the cavemen and predate the wheel. I hope your next one is fabulous, modern, and reliable.

Clear Creek Girl said...

Reefer Madness ... boy, that takes me back. Way back. I am truely stunned that your Sears fridge lemonized on you. I've bought all my major appliances from Sears for 52 years and never had one go to crap on me. On the other hand, I haven't bought a major appliance in the last eighteen years ... so maybe Sears ain't what it usta be.

Brown Shoes said...

Trust me, FG,
it ain't.
I'm fairly certain that most of the major appliances I've had originally came from Sears...I just wasn't the first buyer.
I always bought used or vintage.
But the years have been hard on all my 'old school' stuff, so I am being forced into the now, whether I like it or not.
My 1972 Plymouth? Scrap metal.
My 1940's Westinghouse Commander
Kitchen Range w/drop-down stock pot and double oven? Dead.
My old fridge with the robin's-egg
blue interior? Recycled.
As I said, I do like the well-lit,
organizing features of the new, but the old will always have hold of my heart.

bs

Clear Creek Girl said...

WHEN DOES BROWN SHOES START BLOGGING AGAIN? WE MISS YOU!
FOSSIL GUY AND DR. BOOKWORM