Wednesday, July 26, 2006

laboring under a dark and twisted star

Up too early after a fitful night of sweaty half-sleep.
Fortunately, I have a steaming mug of coffee to snap me out of the fog I'm in.
But, wait just a minute...my coffee tastes...strangely foul.
Upon checking the milk, I realize that our brand spanking new fridge - the one
we had to rush out and sell our souls to get after the old one died on one of the hottest
days of the year - is not working. On another of the hottest days of the year.
But while F#@* all annoying, this is not the worst thing that could happen.
And it is not, in fact, the worst thing that has happened today.

My oldest sister called this morning to tell me that my nephew had been having
dizzy spells, possibly related to some hypoglycemic issue.
A few days ago, as he was walking from the street to a friend's house, he fainted.
He fell straight backward, hitting only his head on the concrete curb.
His skull is fractured from the back of his head around to the orbit of his eye,
and there is another fractured area at the base of his brain.
There is bleeding in his brain, and blood and cranial fluid in one of his ears, and he has
lost the majority of his hearing, as well as his sense of smell.
He also has short term memory loss, speech issues,
and they are continuing to test for additional problems...

This is just devastating news for my entire family.
Even though it has been 21 years since my brother J's accident, the words 'brain injury'
still pack an enormous wallop, and bring back memories that are traumatic and sickening.

But, it's still early.
Who knows what the day will bring.


bs

8 comments:

Alicia M B Ballard StudioGaleria said...

in Argentina we used to call spells like this "Being peed on by elephants".

Triple Dog said...

"angeldust" has expressed my feelings exactly.

As they say, hopefully this too shall pass.

Thinking of you shoes of brown!

Clear Creek Girl said...

SO sad to hear about your nephew. What a terrible tragedy. All of us must pray for all of us.

RJ March said...

oh man-- that was a difficult post to read, bs-- I wish you both, you and your nephew, the best.

Alicia M B Ballard StudioGaleria said...

Hello there...bs
hope things are looking up for you and yours, and are all keeping well/better - on the mend...?

ian gordon said...

I hope there has been better news regarding your nephew.

I've been catching up on the feast of delights that is your journal, and it's a bit inappropriate to start praising such wonderful writing and observation after such a tragic post.

I shall return.

RJ March said...

ok-- write something. Just so we know your neighbors haven't got to ya.

Matt said...

Sorry to hear of your nephew, Brown Shoes... Hope all is a bit better, but thinking of you.

Sorry to fall off the face of the Earth, but am back on it again - your comments never go unnoticed.