Friday, January 05, 2007

Directives

Leaving work late each night, I am mostly alone on the streets of my town.
Until recently, I was absolutely phobic about driving - I could scarcely go down
my own driveway at high noon - so these nightly excursions never feel routine.
In fact, the darkness, the empty streets and my own solitude often coalesce into
something almost holy, lending unexpected weight to the idea of going home.
There are mileposts along my nightly route, rain or shine they remain fairly constant
and serve to reassure me I'm still heading the right way.
My favorites are the people.
Rounding the final corner of main street, there is the hood guy, rushing toward town with his face eternally obscured and his hands flailing gloveless in the coldest of weather.
Crossing near St. Vincent de Paul, the old dog-walker takes his time, leaning forward as if he drags a great weight instead of his little, matted mutt.
The shiny-vest people sometimes carry sticks, or slack white bages that flutter as they walk.
They appear near the empty lot, or the sign for the cemetary, and always walk single file with the woman in the lead.
Once I leave downtown proper, the written word appears. I pass the Mongolian Palace,
"Home of the Horseshoe Bar" and the thrift store where this week "Utinsiles are buy one,
get one free". The bowling alley has a big reader board, burning like a beacon at the
edge of town. The messages change frequently, and on foggy nights, appear abruptly
as if shoved before me by some spectral sage:
Get your game on.
Be Safe. Be Sane. Don't be a Statistic.
IT'S A NEW YEAR - HAVE A BALL!
Once I leave town the road opens up, pouring me into the waiting woods,
where I am embraced by the trees that guard my path. Scattered meadows
shine like pools when the moon is out, and on frosty nights,
flash their diamonds as I pass.
Few lamps are lit in the houses I see, all is quiet, and this quiets me.
I feel privileged in these moments, bouyed up by a beautiful,
mysterious joy I scarcely recognize.
The last business I pass going home each night is a small convenience store -
family owned for many years. There is a covered porch on the front of the store,
where old-timers have gathered for decades now, drinking coffee and telling tales.
Two summers ago, a long-time customer (who'd stopped taking his Clozapine)
pulled a gun from his car and shot the owner - killing him on his own front porch
in front of his family and friends.
The hand written messages that once told his story have long since been replaced
by posters for beer and 2% milk because business - like life - must go on.
But I remember the words that hung above that store for months after he was buried
and gone and, while I am not much given to prayer, they often serve as mine
as I turn toward my own destination:

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you for everything.


bs

8 comments:

Triple Dog said...

Thank you, thank you...for writing again!

Brown Shoes said...

I have missed being here.
And, though I haven't said so - I've been enjoying your thoughts while on my little....hiatus.
Do you ever struggle with getting permission from your self to be yourself?
That is where I have been recently - and I'm glad to be back from there.
Thank you for your kindness and support - and for writing about your own life and struggles so eloquently.

bs

Russell CJ Duffy said...

glad to see that you are back and writing such good stuff too.

PS. Happy New Year!

Triple Dog said...

You are too kind.

I feel lucky lately that my self gets to be myself, but I understand the dilemma completely.

I could go on and on about this, but I think it is very much a part of the struggle of writing. Sometimes my "self" gets in the way and I trip and stumble trying to say what is in me to say. Other times I can't seem to find my "self" and then I feel blank and empty, the words like cottage cheese on rye crisp...bland and dry.

Sometimes, though, I can't help my "self"...she just throws herself onto the keyboard and hence onto the screen without my even knowing it.

My big struggle is trying to get some of these words legitimately "publish" ...that scares the hell out this self and I find all the reasons in the world not to do it.

But right now this self is glad that your self is out there...writing!

Triple Dog said...

I meant published...god, I can't even type the word it seems so overwhelming!

Clear Creek Girl said...

Me too! I'm glad you're back too, Brown Shoes! YOur words are always a surprise, like a pommegranite (sp)being peered at by a blowfish. Your description of your-coming-home-trip is fascinating. Tell us more!

Joe Jubinville said...

Good stuff, shoes. It strikes me that being in a car, on a bike, a train, some means of transport (at least when there's no traffic to deal with) is singularly conducive to pondering our larger journey through time and space. Your story brings that home...

RJ March said...

I'm so glad you've returned so beautifully. You've been missed.