Wednesday, January 24, 2007

snapshots of what I've loved this week

Simple math: an empty house + 2 pillows + a vintage pink ballerina blanket + the couch
+ an overcast afternoon x myself = the most perfect nap since 2003.

The solemn onyx face of night peering in my bedroom window, a full moon caught in her teeth.

Succulent bites of browned chicken, coconut milk and red thai curry ladled over sticky rice.

"Our success in this war is often measured by the things that did not happen. "
from The State of the Union speech 1/22/07

The dazzling intensity of my daughter and her boyfriend,
sitting side by side in the sun
and touching one another with their eyes.

"Elia, pack your knives and go."

After weeks of winter gloom, naked trees raising their arms up
through unexpected sunlight as if hoisting the sky back into place.

Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap.

And the kids I work with:
JT's hopeful, 3-year-old assessment of the future: "Soon I will be bigger.
And then, I'll get a bigger head. And then, I will be the boss of me."
Pansy, climbing onto my lap with her sticky hands and milky breath,
sighing, "Don't worry, I hold you."
And Mia, twirling around on the sidewalk behind the building - all stick-thin limbs
and swinging hair - shouting, "Look everybody! Everything is beautiful!"

7 comments:

RJ March said...

Sam, poor Sam.

He was the only one, in my humble opinion, worth his weight in poi.

Loved his new haircut, too.

And his lanky leanness and the way he looked in hip-huggin' jeans.

Brown Shoes said...

What - no love for Elan?

Loathe his jarhead-do, too.

And his skanky meaness and the way he cooked up those lip-druggin' greens...if only the taro had actually closed Padma's throat - now THAT would have been good t.v.!

(Sam had my vote too.)

bs

Triple Dog said...

Thanks for the snapshots. They lifted me.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

stick thin limbs?
those were the days

RJ March said...

c'mon back, girl

Matt said...

Hey there BS.
I fell off the face of the Earth, am trying to climb back on - thanks for the nudging - always saw you, even if I didn't nudge back...

-Matt

Clear Creek Girl said...

NEXT BLOG, PLEASE. Here's what you do. You start BLOGGING again, every other day. Forget the studio, forget the job, forget the people you love, forget peeing. Just get your butt over to the computer, sit down, and blog. We love 'em. So keep 'em comin'.