Friday, April 28, 2006

Don't Look Now



Dear Blogsters -
One just never knows what the day will bring.

Picture this: I'm sitting in my car, in the left turn lane, waiting for the light to change. A small, older truck lurches up on my right, seeming to hesitate a little as it pulls next to me.
I glance over - the driver is alone -
and, let's just say....
she has come to a full stop.


I must have looked agog because she brought her hands up to cover her face,
and then threw them upward in a shrug and looked away.
Mercifully, the light changed,
I made my turn and that was that.
Except - my mind can't seem to leave it alone.
I've been through lists of movies (Coming Home, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner,
Comes A Horseman, Come Back, Little Sheba), then music (Here Comes the Bride,
Come Together, Slow Train Comin', Comin' 'Round the Mountain) and finally books -
stopping myself with "Something Wicked This Way Comes"...
Maybe I'm naive, but I've truly never considered that sort of multi-tasking while driving.
Perhaps I don't get out enough.



Forgive me if this post is too off-color for any of you,
but some experiences are like gaseous fumes and
must be dispersed to be dispelled.

Sincerely,
Your ever-intrepid observer

bs

8 comments:

RJ March said...

OK. This is where I have to come out and admit that once, when I was younger and much more randy and ignorant of the various outlets available to people-- or maybe, back then, they didn't exist-- I had a magazine that I had just purchased, and was driving home with it, and was maybe perusing it at a light and maybe I got distracted and rear-ended the car in front of me. It was minor, and I didn't tell my parents, with whom I was living at the time, but it haunted me that the man would come after me with a law suit.

Jumpin' Jiminy!

Clear Creek Girl said...

"By the prickling of my thumbs, something evil this way comes!"

I must be slow this morning (brain damage from last night's whiskey?) 'cause I don't catch the drift here ... maybe I should go have a cuppa coffee, or two, or three.

Zoe's Art Stuff said...

What is funny to me is the woman's embarrassment. I mean, she did know she was out in public, right? Seems to me she might have just blown you and kiss and gone on with her day... Ta ta!

RJ March said...

Or did I misinterpret and then totally embarrass myself here?!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

leftfield.
even so enough food for thought to last a lunchtime.

Brown Shoes said...

Hmmm - I was worried about offending - and instead I was confusing.
Simply put: RJ - you intepret exactly, kimo sabe.

Anonymous said...

I almost got into a BAD accident once because a girl was "making my drive more enjoyable"...have not yet attempted a repeat.

Brown Shoes said...

Hmmmm,
I believe that is a
Mr. Traffic no-no.



bs