Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Mystery Bus

Something is going on with the guy down the road from us.
Late night lights, tarps and partial vehicles everywhere, and today; the return of the mystery bus. The same bus was there two weeks ago, and just when I was ready to start my own private investigation, it disappeared...only to show up again this afternoon.
It's old school yellow, with grimy looking clothes and debris hanging out some of the windows. A ton of other stuff was spilling out of the open rear door, but some unknown guy was jumping around next to the bus when I drove by (think Deliverance), so I could only take a quick look.
A while ago, we saw a truck on our road, heading up beyond us toward an open piece of property where people often go and dump their trash. D.(amazingly) got in our car and went up there only to find down-the-road guy just sitting up there in his truck. D. asked him what was going on and DTR guy said, "I needed to eat a sandwich".
Well, that's why we live in the outback - so we can meet our sandwich needs any damn way we please, right?
Ugly television confession for today - okay...I admit it...so far, the aliens of Invasion look a lot like a bunch of guys with flashlights swimming in non-menacing circles in my bathtub - but I am still watching it. Ssshhhhh....don't tell anyone.
And finally, on a positive note, I went to Yang's Botanical Gardens today.
They have quite a few unusual evergreens, a variety of palms, and 5 or 6 Angel's Trumpets that were just huge. But I went there to see the maple trees, and I was not disappointed.
A little valley filled with bloody reds, scandalous salmons, and insanely brilliant
golds and bronzes...it was spectacular! and all just a mile or ish from my house.
Sigh - I am lucky.
Off.

4 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

So fine to hear about your hair appointment! About 2 yrs ago I got my hair cut at one of the cheapo places I always go - and the woman was DRUNK. Well, so was my mother for most of my life, so instead of complaining, wailing and bitching when she tore my hair off - I sat there, frozen with self-disgust and fear. Fear at what in the hell she was doing. Her whiskey-breath drove itself into my eyes, my nostrils, my mouth. All I could do was try to show disapproval with my facial expression but I didn't even do that at all well. Cut cut cut. Off. Off. Off. Any hair-charm I had had was gone, gone, gone. Mostly, I was horrified at myself - horrified that the past had come back and licked me a big one once again. I got out of there, swearing (silently) at her and me both. I drove and drove, out to Clear Creek where I had been born - I was so disoriented I got lost and didn't make it back home for two hours. Two whole hours of driving around with my hair in shreds.

Yesterday at Macys (at the perfume counter) the gussied up women were admiring the bag Jim gave me. I sd it had been a present for my sixtieth birthday. They squealed in delight at my beautiful skin, then started on my hair ("What do you DO for it?) I told them I dye it with men's hair dye and then pour hydrogen peroxide over it and leave it like that until the next day. That kind of backed them off. "Is your skin genetic?" they asked. "Well, yes, I believe the skin itself IS genetic," I said, trying to make a wry smile on my face. They didn't get it. Then one said, "Do you eat really well or something?" I looked down at my body and said, "Do I LOOK like I eat really well? Of course I do. I eat TONS of EVERYTHING." It was fun and horrifying at the same time.
Client-time - gotta go. Thanks for blogging, BrownShoes.

Mom said...

Your Down the Road Guy must be related to my Mom's Guy Next Door, who also has a yellow van. For a minute I though maybe GND had sold his van to DRG but then I remembered his yellow van is up on blocks--no wheels. Maybe they're related....

Clear Creek Girl said...

Dear Brown,
How I love your blog. It is SO interesting and so - - richly endowed. Thankyou for sticking to the daily things that occur in your life - plus your feelings - they help all of us understand that we, too (me, too) are truly and utterly just - - (just!!!) - human. Feeling out of sorts, scared of this, brave about that, weird about this. I love readin your blogs.

Clear Creek Girl said...

Dear Brown,
How I love your blog. It is SO interesting and so - - richly endowed. Thankyou for sticking to the daily things that occur in your life - plus your feelings - they help all of us understand that we, too (me, too) are truly and utterly just - - (just!!!) - human. Feeling out of sorts, scared of this, brave about that, weird about this. I love readin your blogs.