Sunday, February 05, 2006

A big wind, a big man and a pretty bad idea

Woah now.
Apparently all our complaining about the rain
created quite a stir in the atmosphere...
The result at my house: no more rain,
but no power either (or heat or light or water).
Saturday, a 60' Douglas fir fell on my neightbor's house -
it went through the roof and into the attic,
causing most of the ceiling in her bedroom to come down
and filling half the room with insulation.
I was over there this morning, talking to her
and watching the tree removal guys do their thing.
One guy was working up on the roof and fell through -
which was just bizarre.
He was a very large man, with quite a belly,
and only moments before he'd been slinging a chain saw around
like it was a butter knife.
He made some cuts, tossed his saw down
and leaned forward as if to take a step.
Instead, he jerked his head back,and made a
strangely girlish sound like: "yiiiieeeeee".
His arms shot up over his head,
his big, pink-moon belly swung out
all jiggly in the morning air.
and he just... disappeared.
Down below, we simply stood there for a moment,
looking at each other like: did you just see what I just saw?
Then we all took off running toward the house at once.
Tree Guy was fine up inside of the attic - dangling casually
from his harness as if falls like that happen everyday - which to him, they do.
Half an hour later we were all still wigged out(oooh, what if he'd broken something?)and he was back on the roof, tossing giant blocks of wood around
like they were made of styrofoam.
Yup.
That's entertainment,
out here in SuperBowl Loserland.

Now, I must go and finish my hand-painted shower curtain.
Back when I first saw that creamy cotton curtain in a store;
the one with the fabulous geometric designs,
I actually tossed my head and laughed...derisively I recall.
"Forty-five bucks?", I think I may have said,
"I can make my own damn curtain for less than forty five bucks."
However - that was before I realized that the average shower curtain
is at least 10 miles long, and 3 miles wide - and well before
I recognized that paying someone ELSE to handpaint
73,294 little circles and squares on that much fabric
is worth far more than forty five bucks.


bs

9 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

Your postings are so much fun! I think I hired that same guy to bring down a tree segment that was hung up in my big maple in the backyard. I recall his belly because it reminded me of me.

Brown Shoes said...

Ha.
If I was a rooftop guy, that would be my greatest fear - falling and breaking my neck, or slipping and sawing off a leg would be a bummer but - that uncensored belly ploompfing out into the wind...
I'd have to leave the state.

Mom said...

Oh, great story! I can see that belly phflumping!

Triple Dog said...

Did he still have the chainsaw? What happened to the chainsaw? Did I not read carefully enough? I'm in such a morning blur right now...and the rain is back, though not as hard and they for not as long.

Do I trust them?

Brown Shoes said...

The last time I saw the chainsaw, he had tossed it down on the roof...where I'm guessing it stayed.

I believe the forecast is always rain - the weather man only says sun once in a while so we don't freak out and run crazy in the streets.

RJ March said...

Jeezum, don't tell me you've got "January" too? Where the hell are you?

Mom said...

Thank you Brown Shoes for leaving a comment on my Daughter's blog. It's going to mean a lot to her.

Clear Creek Girl said...

Will there ever be a fresh new bolg posted to this site with tales bordering on the unbelievable yet couched in language we all yearn to have at our fingertips which are getting frozen if left out from under the covers these nights actually only the one next to my right hand pinkie which got traumatized fifty years ago by a severe blow and has been acting up ever since.

RJ March said...

I keep checking in, hoping and hoping. Not that I haven't heard from you, but just wishing you would resume with your observations of your western, rain-soaked life. It's cold here, colder than it's been in a while, and still I've gone out for the papers and taken the dog for a walk. If I can make that kind of effort, you can certainly look around yourself over there on your side of the country and write about what you see. I've grown to look forward to it. Are you making me wait until spring?