Wednesday, February 22, 2006

O brother, where art thou?


Once, almost a lifetime ago, I had a golden brother.
He was late and unexpected, the twilight child of older parents
already drowning in a sea of unruly daughters.
He was sturdy and fiesty and we spent our days together
while time swept the sagebrush fields of our youth.
Years later, on a hot summer night, after our father was dead
and we were all older and scattered apart,
my brother climbed onto his bike.
He rode down a hill, just a block from his house,
and I never saw him again.

There were some newspaper stories,
a lawsuit of sorts, and medical bills that long ago
soared beyond the 2 million dollar mark.
But what remains of my brother
are some basic facts
that illuminate a stranger I once knew:
41 year old male with severe closed head injury.
Left-side hemiparesis. Speech and vision impaired.
Extreme short-term memory loss, concrete thinking, perseveration.
IQ well below normal.

I went to his house yesterday;
struggling as usual to walk that fine line
between sister and mother, case worker and friend.
Does it matter if he has 37 jugs of water sitting on his kitchen floor?
Who's it hurting if the drawers of Dad's rolltop desk have split from the weight
of the useless paper compulsively stuffed into them?
Strange food rots in the fridge next to fresh squeezed juice and yams.
Thirteen boxes of herbal tea sit in a row in the cupboard,
each one the same and each one purchased mindless of the ones that came before.
Yet, his bed is made and his houseplants thrive and in the midst of a spat,
he sings me a snippet of the theme from the Brady Bunch.
Everywhere, everywhere are contradictions,
and opportunities to collide with the past.

D. tells me often that my brother doesn't necessarily carry the
same sorrows and burdens that I do. He says that I worry too much.
Maybe so.

Right before I left yesterday, I picked up a notebook
that was lying under the kitchen table.
Scrawled across the top page was a journal entry of sorts;
a message perhaps to those of us who worry - and those who do not.
It read, in part:
"The odds are AGAINST YOU! You live here too.
just remember, a neurologic injury cuts the wire -
& it NEVER NEVER NEVER comes back."

6 comments:

RJ March said...

Gosh. I don't know what to say and still feel like I have to acknowledge my sitting here not knowing how to respond. "Gosh" does it for now, I think.

It's bone-chilling here. Hope you are warm.

XO, rj

Triple Dog said...

Today I was met by a whining student. She was pouting about something...probably not getting her way, which perpetually throws her into a case of wadded knickers.

Did she know that sitting right next to her is a girl whose mother just got a dianosis of MS? Did she know there are people with cut wires trying to make their beds and water their plants?

Yes, I suppose she knows in some ways...her grandmother is dying and in the hospital.

Still...perspective is such a hard lesson to teach.

Gosh...

Clear Creek Girl said...

Thank you for this mind-blogging piece about your brother. I think a book is in order, Brown Shoes. Really, really, I do. Nobody writes better than you and nobody knows anybody more maddeningly loquacious and burdened than your brother.
BookWorm

Clear Creek Girl said...

You do a good job of avoiding the gloss that many writers paint over reality.

Brown Shoes said...

Well.

Thank you all much for the comments and compliments...
as a postscript, here is my first call for today from my bro:
"Uhhh,a tragedy has occurred.
Uhh, I used my urinal last night, and uhh, it was sitting on the floor and uhh, my new remote that you got fell into it. I uh, all the urine is rinsed off now, but
now, uhh, my remote is not working.
Do you think it needs new batteries?"

Aaaaaargggh.


bs

Mom said...

Dear, dear Brownshoes...I can say only "my brother is not so bad or sad as yours" even though he drives me crazy with his sleeping and his drugging and his agoraphobia and his "reasons" for not working...the best one is "I'd kill someone." I think he might--he keeps a machete by his bed. I can feel some sympathy for where your brother finds himself and I feel so sad for you. I only know a little bit of what it's like.