Friday, February 03, 2006

creature from the black lagoon of habit

I fell asleep on the couch last night,
and woke to the sound of whimpering outside.
Stumbling up I went to the door and
opened it, calling for Jack.
Outside in the dark
there was only the rain
and trees, bowing low in the wind.
Funny, the habits of love that remain;
the things we do unbidden,
moved by the momentum of what was.
How much of life is habit?
How much of love?

Ooof - that line of thinking makes me queasy.
Scientists may say that the female body is 55% water -
but I fear I might be about 78% habit,
with some guts and stuff tossed in
to keep me barely human.
Which means I may not be exercising much choice
over how I spend my valuable time.

Let's do some math:
Coffee drinking - 46% habit.
Smoking - 36% habit
Negative thinking - 21% habit
Eating - 18% habit
Television - 32% habit
Variable compulsivities (including, but not limited to: computer related activities, reading, writing, collectings objects, talking on the phone, avoiding reality, denying reality, flaunting convention, courting disaster,etc.) 63% habit
Hmmmm - with 216% of myself devoted to habit, I'm shocked
I manage to squeeze in as many volitional activities as I do.
Food for thought, that.
And speaking of food - time for some habitual snacking!

bs

No comments: