Monday, December 05, 2005

It's a bird, it's a plane...it's less-than-super woman...

And now a flashback for all you old Stevie Smith fans, who feel that they too are not waving, but drowning...

...There is no pain, you are receding.
A distant ship’s smoke on the horizon.
You are only coming through in waves.
Your lips move but I can’t hear what you’re sayin’.
When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse,
Out of the corner of my eye.
I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now.
The child is grown, the dream is gone.

I have become comfortably numb.

Hello all you creatures from the blog lagoon. If it seems as if I have been away for a while -
well, I have. Directly after Thanksgiving, some sort of portal opened up
and I was sucked into a fresh hell that I only just began to climb out of.
I won't bore you with the details (quoting Pink Floyd ought to be enough),
but I plan to eat my weight in Vitamin B between now and Christmas in an
effort to avoid a repeat vapor lock.
Usually I adore the winter holidays - they are made up of all the best things: food,
glitter, shiny paper, lights, presents... Yet, I suppose they are also made of some
other things: family, memory, expectations and other messy ingredients that can
really get in the way of having a good time.
While I was off with my head in the oven, life continued on...
Pat Morita died - crushing any hope of one more Karate Kid movie.
But take heart, because Al Sharpton has unveiled plans to star in his own sitcom...
you guessed it:"Al in the Family". I can hardly wait.
And speaking of bad t.v. - it seems as though the sherrif on
Invasion might finally be exposed as the water-breathing freak from another
planet that he has secretly been all along. I'm embarassed because I am actually,
truly into that show.
I did manage to go out into the great unwashed world and see Walk the Line,
which I really liked. Actually, that is a lie.
What I really liked was Joaquin Phoenix.
I believe I would crawl 1000 miles over burning glass
just to be near his smoldering fabulousness...
but that's another story entirely.
I have to get up early tomorrow - so I am going to try and get some sleep.
I have graduated from 3.7 hours a night to almost 5 - and am hoping the
improvement continues.

Tomorrow, I will make some buttermilk pralines and perhaps,
some fudge...which I think is an unattractive name for something so
delicious.



1 comment:

RJ March said...

Ahhhh--welcome back, BS!