Tuesday, December 13, 2005

losers on wheels

I went Christmas shopping tonight - it was a little eerie how quiet all the stores were.
Maybe rain and Monday mixed together and kept all the peoples at home?
My friend J. and I had a hard time finding any of the things we were looking for.
It seemed as if, everywhere we went, the answer was either "not any more" or
"haven't seen/made/sold that item in years..." We were like throw-backs,
Cro-Magnon shoppers all befuddled and confused in the middle of Mallamerica.
We went into Victoria's Secret looking for something special for our daughters,
but were a bit daunted by the multi-million dollar crack-floss... I had never
been in there before and the cost of lovely unders floored me.
Then J. got her ears pierced at a little kiosk by a 12 year old and some guy
who had huge diamonds in his ears, and a lot of major bling on his fingers.
When I asked him if his diamond earrings were real, he said,
"Well - I AM an entertainer....I rap" which I guess means yes?
I was pretty overwhelmed by the much-ness of everything...
I need to get out more.

This day was also filled with unexpected gifts: some new music,
a great letter in the mail (an actual paper letter!!), and a spur
of the moment visit from ArtMom, who showed up with a bag full
of the most marvelous beaded art. I was agog. We schmoozed and
had coffee and cigarettes and traded work for work - the whole
experience was utter wish fulfillment.
Another day sans doomliness...look out people, I'm gonna dance now.
Or maybe, just think about it.

2 comments:

Clear Creek Girl said...

Sounds like a fulsome day, full of all the necessities: beauty, coffee ciggies, trading gorgeous for gorgeous, getting out into that big octopus of ANY mall - especially Victoria's Secret, from which I have not ever bought ONE thing, but someday - - someday - - A letter, music - - a perfect day to fit your Soul. I love hearing about it.
Thank you,
me

artmommusings said...

I vote for diamond studded crack floss, so that all those who can wear them get the chaffing their little hineys deserve. Not that I'm jealous of little hineys, or bitter or anything....