Sunday, December 25, 2005

people who drink to drown their sorrow should be told:

sorrow knows how to swim.

My oldest sister is back in the hospital -
it's pancreatitis this time around.
She has already been treated medically for
issues relating to her 40 year love-affair
with vodka...18 months ago she was rushed to the ER
in a coma because the ammonia level in her brain
was high enough to interfere with brain function.
Her feet were blue, her legs were like balloons
and she had bruises of varying shades all over her body.
She weighed 74 pounds and, at 63, looked like an 85
year old concentration camp survivor.
That time, we all converged from our hide-outs around
the country, and tried to offer what help and support
we could. But now - I have no idea what help to offer
someone who simply will NOT acknowledge that alcohol
is killing her. Her husband has already begun the usual
subterfuge - noone can talk to her, noone even knows
for sure where (or how) she is.
Sigh.
You gotta love the holidays.

4 comments:

artmommusings said...

I'm so so sorry for you and your sister and your family. Hospitals and the holidays and like gas and fire. I'm sorry that you have to deal with this and I'm sorry that your sister is suffering, and that you too are suffering, and are sad.

artmommusings said...

How are things now, any news? How are you?

RJ March said...

Back. We are a pair: didn't my brother-in-law have to go back into the hospital this morning, an hour before we were leaving for home, shuffling off with apologies and the dry heaves and a fever to an emergency room. He's since been admitted and they are trying to figure out what's wrong. My poor sister is holding herself together.

Anyway, I thought about you while in TX. I managed to get through the visit without any help from my old friend. It was easy and it wasn't easy, but I'm glad to be on this side of the holidays. New Years is gonna be a piece of cake, and I say bring on '06 anyway. I've had enough of this year.

Hope you and yours are doing okay. Let me know.

XO, me

Brown Shoes said...

rj - Very glad to hear you've returned. So sorry about the bro-in-law - keep me posted.
ArtMom - thanks for your kind words. Things are better now - though sadly, still much the same.
And me - I am actually okay.
Glad a new year is on its way.
I am hoping for better, and soon.
bs