Friday, January 13, 2006

friggatriskaidekaphobia...

Word of the Day

Past disasters linked to the number 13 hardly help triskaidekaphobics overcome their affliction. The most famous is the Apollo 13 mission: it was launched on April 11, 1970 (the sum of 4, 11 and 70 equals 85 - which when added together comes to 13), from Pad 39 (three times 13) at 13:13 local time, and was struck by an explosion on April 13.
I would add the disaster of 175 (which adds up to 13!) Friday the 13th movies,
each one progressively lamer than its predecessor.

I admit it - I am superstitious.
No shoes on the table, no hats on the bed.
Spilled salt? Over the left shoulder at once.
And walking under ladders - absolutely not.
Has observing these ancient dictates brought me fortune?
Whadda you think?
But - who knows what might have happened
had I thrown caution to the wind?

Perhaps today is the day to live contrary to dogma.
Maybe I will stuff my shoes with salt
and put them all on the table, then bind a black cat
to my dead father's hat and toss them both on my bed.
Lunch time might find me standing beneath a ladder,
reading Aleister Crowley's Book of Lies....
Or
perhaps not.

Stay tuned - the day is young and I am longing for
something to lift me out of the gloom of 40 days of rain.

No comments: