Monday, January 16, 2006

From Snow globes to Golden Globes

Today saw the end of an era...
I finally took down my Christmas tree!
I had vaguely entertained the idea of a summer
pull date, but the thing was really beginning
to go bald.
To tell the truth, it was
starting to depress me -
sitting there all dark and unloved...
like the Anti Christmas himself
just hanging out in my living room.
With gallons of rain pouring from the sky
pretty much round the clock these days,
one must take care not to push the envelope
of grimness too far.

Because I worked so hard,
I gave myself a full lounge pass for the evening -
which I spent lying on the couch
under my insanely plush micro-fleece blankie,
watching the Golden Globes.
I only saw a smidge of the pre-show stuff,
which I realized was a blessing when I heard
some woman from Inside Edition pose this question
to the cast of Will and Grace:
"Sooooo - do you think that your show
paved the way for a movie like Brokeback Mountain?"
Wha?
The show itself wasn't bad - the opening song was pretty
frightening, but maybe the extra cash went into the open bar.
Kudos to the star of Memoirs of a Geisha - she looked like
a delicate, beautiful flower.
George Clooney wins for most dapper man,
and Geena Davis for showing the most skin
that looks the most like cream.
On the flip side -
I think that Shirley MacLaine needs to get a new wig,
and that somebody needs to ride herd on that dairy farm
Mariah Carey hauls out at every awards show.
I was thrilled that Phillip Seymour Hoffman won, but
a little sad his date had to show up in a Glad trash bag.
And I spent a fair amount of time really wanting to give
Jamie Foxx a serious ego reduction procedure.

Now - the party is over, and I am absolutely exhausted
from my long and difficult day.
Trash tv begins in earnest tomorrow
when I watch the auditions for American Idol,
and continues on Wednesday when I go slumming
with the freaks on Invasion.


Please
Please
someone make the rain STOP.

bs

2 comments:

RJ March said...

Ah! You hit all the right nails on the head! Clooney looking sooo like Cary Grant. Maclaine looking like she was looking for her nurse. And how about Mr. Witherspoon? For someone not nominated, or even worthy of nomination,(good to hear he's got work, though)he sure garnered a whole lot of face time. Missed Mariah's mams. Found it ironic that Zellwiger followed Mr. Faith Hill. Marveled at Fox's smoldering hubris. All in all, completely inane and entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

We are in the middle of a cold snap here, so I can empathize about the shitty weather, although I know you must be feeling like Noah these days.

XO, RJ

Clear Creek Girl said...

Far more dreadful gowns than gorgeous. I like 'classic' lines, so have limited tolerance for visual adventures and/or design chaos. My poor Madam President poured into that awful red hourglass ... YUK! Sandra Oh was perfect .... Charlize Theron seemed to have a huge attached spider lunging at her chin .... not a great night for fashion.
I was happy with most of the (TV) awards ... but haven't seen hardly any of the movies in contention.
Our Martha Stewart wonder-tree is back in its box in the garage .... still the problem of all those lights still strung up on the porch overhang.