Saturday, January 28, 2006

death is in the details

We buried Jack this afternoon,
down where the trilliums used to grow.
My daugter's boyfriend came over
and went out with D. and they dug a huge hole
in the bucketing rain.
Following our vet visit Thursday evening,
Jack was put in some plastic,
and placed in caskety-looking cardboard box.
We had no protected place to keep him -
so we left him in my car where he was safe
from other animals and protected from the rain.
This morning, while the guys did their digging,
I went to a meeting and things being what they were -
Jack came along.
Word had preceeded me, so sympathy was rampant
(addicts are crazy for that unconditional love).
Everyone was talking, the room was like a hen house
and one woman said to me, "Don't worry dear.
Jack hasn't left you - in fact he's with you now."
Her eyes almost flapped clear out of her head
when I replied, "I know! He's right outside -
in the back of my car."
Once I got back home, D. and I milled around for a while,
unable to go out and get it done, but unwilling to commit
to doing anything else. Finally, we both stood, put on our coats
and headed out to take Jack to his final place of rest.
After hideous rain the skies had almost cleared, and there was
something close to sunlight shining through the trees.
Neither of could bear to just bury him in a box -
so I found an old red cotton sheet, and we laid him on that.
D. wrapped a blessing cord around Jack's neck,
tucked a prayer card under his chest -
then we lowered him down and let the red cloth cover him.
We shoveled for a long while in total silence,
then I asked if we could burn that box
so I didn't have to see it again.
D. put it in the hole, coaxed it to burn -
and we watched until dozens of little ashen hands
drifted up into the air and moved slowly away.
We filled the rest of the hole, stood for a moment,
and left Jack out there, where he so loved to be.
Beyond bringing him home, we had made no plans -
which I suppose allowed things to unfold as they did.
The entire experience was, and will remain,
a collection of incredibly pure moments:
D. (who had never had a dog before Jack),
kneeling in the mud to wrap that cord around his neck.
Moss-covered branches soaked with rain,
touched by an unexpected finger of sun.
And Jack, curled into his usual C of sleep -
still velvet,
still dog-love,
still.

Thanks to all you bloggers
for your kind words and sympathy.
I am bereft, but feel better
and I know that this is true:
I loved loving him and I am so sorry to see him go -
which is a fine epitaph
for a friend.

4 comments:

RJ March said...

I love your "collection of incredibly pure moments." So beautiful and moving.

You are in my thoughts, bs.

Clear Creek Girl said...

I am so so sorry and sad for Jack and the rest of you. I am also laughing - heartily at your reply to one of your friends, "I know! He's out there in the back of the car" (sorry for the non-verbatim quote). I can't imagine a happier life for Jack than being with you and D. And I can't imagine a sweeter love than you have had for him.
Bookworm

artmommusings said...

I remember that cardboard box. I drove all the way home from the vets with my beloved cat inside it. I remember stroking the box, like I was somehow still comforting my hurting cat who had been struck by a car. There must be a heaven for animals, there simply must be, and Jack must be there, with all the peanut butter and grapes he desires.

Triple Dog said...

What gifts they are, these de-tails and de-lights of sunshine. So hard, so hard.

Chester sends a slightly cocked head with sorrowful eyes for you and if he could, he'd softly lick your hand in comfort.

My thoughts are with you, bs...