Thursday, March 02, 2006

Notes from Friday

People of the Northwest...why all the ugly hats?
The sun appears after weeks of rain and you all get chapeau méchant fever.

Cable knit ballcaps with bills: just say no.
That plaid Gilligan job I saw at the Post Office: hat of the living dead.
American-flag-do-rags on white guys: please don't.
Pith helmet? Pith off.
And the worst offender - the ubiquitous condom-top, complete with reservoir tip.
(insert obvious next line here)


Spring cannot get here soon enough.


Sunday is Academy Award night - when I burn up the phone lines with
cruel, yet witty comments on the beautiful people.
Below are my votes and predictions for this year.

Picture:
“Brokeback Mountain” my prediction
“Capote”
“Crash” – my vote
“Good Night, and Good Luck”
“Munich”

Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman, “Capote”
Terrence Howard, “Hustle & Flow”
Heath Ledger, “Brokeback Mountain” – my vote/my prediction
Joaquin Phoenix, “Walk the Line”
David Strathairn, “Good Night, and Good Luck.”

Actress
Judi Dench, “Mrs. Henderson Presents”
Felicity Huffman, “Transamerica” - my vote
Keira Knightley, “Pride & Prejudice”
Charlize Theron, “North Country”
Reese Witherspoon, “Walk the Line” – my prediction

Supporting actor
George Clooney, “Syriana”
Matt Dillon, “Crash” – my vote/my prediction
Paul Giamatti, “Cinderella Man”
Jake Gyllenhaal, “Brokeback Mountain”
William Hurt, “A History of Violence”

Supporting actress
Amy Adams, “Junebug”
Catherine Keener, “Capote”
Frances McDormand, “North Country”
Rachel Weisz, “The Constant Gardener”
Michelle Williams, “Brokeback Mountain – my vote/my prediction

Director
Ang Lee, “Brokeback Mountain” – my vote/my prediction
Bennett Miller, “Capote”
Paul Haggis, “Crash”
George Clooney, “Good Night, and Good Luck”
Steven Spielberg, “Munich”



Foreign film
“Don’t Tell,” Italy
“Joyeux Noel,” France
“Paradise Now,” Palestine
“Sophie Scholl — The Final Days,” Germany
“Tsotsi,” South Africa. – my vote/my prediction

Documentary – Murderball my vote/my prediction
(a tremendous film, by the way.)





bs

5 comments:

RJ March said...

I am sporting a despicable Calvin Klein beanie as I read/write this morning-- no fashion accessory, but rather a bad-hair-day device. Now that I've let my locks flow (as it were), the curling tendrils (yes, TENDRILS) leave my head at odd angles, especially in the morning. My head today is a present from my pillow.

You know how I feel about award shows. I'll sit through the red carpet with a notebook and pencil, but the show itself? No, thank you, I'd rather not.

Never took you for a hat-hater.

Triple Dog said...

My students (5th graders) are at an age when they love to learn how to knit. My "reward", as it were...hats and scarves. Well, not too many scarves, but hats. Some fit, some don't. Some are nice, others itch. I prefer real wool, they prefer acrylic. Do I wear them all? Only when I take them to the park after lunch or when I can't find my favorite skiing hat. Still, it's kind of cute that they think I need one as I'm not really the hat type.

Oscars? I hate that they have to choose between a film like CRASH and a film like BBM...or between Felicity and Reese.

Therefore, I'll watch, but only to watch their reactions when they win...I like that part.

Brown Shoes said...

Au contrair - I have no hate for the hat, just for the UGLY hat.
I love an attitudinal cap, a scruffy, much-loved scrap of a hat; even a well-placed sombrero gets my vote...
And I can get behind a good tendril-maintenance beanie any day of the week.
I get bored often by the Grammys and I still watch the Golden Globes - but the Oscars have been a big deal for me since I was a kid.
So tomorrow evening will find me curled up on the couch (sans the 55 gallon drum of dry white that used to be MY red carpet accessory), enjoying at least every other moment of the whole disgusting spectacle.

artmommusings said...

Once I saw that Reese won and not Felicity, I had to turn it off. What a dissappointment, they went for "safe" this year. I thought all the fashions were good though. Nothing too horrible, although Helena Bonham Carter looked like an 80's prom reject.

Brown Shoes said...

you live!
Welcome back.


bs