Monday, March 27, 2006

A charaid, mar sin leibh an-dràsda

Rest now, Ned
You pure and generous soul.
You absolute prince among men.




For All the Sad Rain

O my friends why are we so weak
In winter sunlight why do our knees knock,
Why do we walk with small steps, ugly
And spindly as baby birds

Whose world do we think this is?
O my friends take it,
O my friends don’t look at each other
Or anyone else before you speak.

I have had enough of scared field mice
With trembling pink ears,
I have had enough of damp
Diffident handshakes,

Do you think I haven’t been stepped on by giants?
Do you think my teachers didn’t stand me in a corner
For breathing, do you think my own father didn’t burn me
With the wrath of a blast furnace for wanting to sit on his knee?

Indeed I have been pressed between steamrollers,
I have had both my feet cut off, and the pancreas
And the liver and the lungs of the one I love
Have been sucked out of my life and the air around me

Has turned to cereal, how will I stand up,
What opinions can I offer but I will not be silent,
There are dogs who keep their skinny tails
Permanently between their legs

But also there are sleek horses, as easily as there are curs
There are squash blossoms that flower around fountains
Like white butterflies, there is courage everywhere,
For every reluctant nail-biter

There are a hundred raised fists, for every broken broomstick
There are millions of bent grasses snapping
Back and forth at the sky, beating the blue carpet
As hard as they can, with the frail tassels of their hair

For every pair of eyes squeezed tight
Under colorless lids there are thousands of others
Wide-open, on the proud columns of their necks turning,
Observing everything like King Radar,

O my friends for all the sad rain in heaven
Filling our dinner plates you have ten fingers of honey
Which are your own, stretch them, stick them up
And then wave to me, put your arms around each other’s shoulders

When we meet in a field with no fences
The horizon is yours, and the books and all the opinions
And the water which is wine and the best bed
You can possibly think to lie in.

- Patricia Goedicke

8 comments:

RJ March said...

"a field with no fences"

now THERE'S something that stops you... lovely.

Are you okay?

Clear Creek Girl said...

Who is Ned? And Lord, what a beautiful poem.
Love to you,
Bookworm

Triple Dog said...

"...you have ten fingers of honey..."

Beautiful.

Sad, gray rain today, too. I am home with Chester...we are both sick...he with his perpetual wobbliness, me with the stomach flu.

Where do you find all of these beautiful poems?

RJ March said...

How funny is that buttinski askinstoo! Go peddle yer zip elsewhere-- we're talkin Art here!

Brown Shoes said...

Thanks RJ, I'm okay.

NoApologies - the poem came from an anthology I love - The Last Best Place (edited by Kittredge and Smith).

RE that pesky askinstoo - I keep trying to delet it, but it will not go.

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mom said...

If heaven was a field with no fences and there were books and opinions then I would believe in it. Thank you so much for putting this poem on your blog, Brown Shoes. It brought a lump to my throat.I love you and am sad about Ned, and wish I'd known him.

Nate said...

Very nice.
Found you through a comment on Flip.

I'm not the biggest poetry person, but liked that one.