Monday, March 13, 2006

Wicked heavy

Finally - the Sopranos are back in town, opening with H.L. Mencken and sliding straight into
an excerpt from William Burroughs' "The Western Lands".

That, my friends is heavy; wicked heavy.

I keep thinking about the Burroughs' monologue - his eerie, worn-out voice droning about death as the major players give us a peek at where they've been for the past 2 years - and I know he was singing us a road map of the final 18 months there in Jersey.
I realize that it's "only television" - but I am thrilled to be caught up and held captive by such literate and compelling writing and acting.
(And it certainly helps with the oily stain that American Idol is leaving in my mind...)
Mayhem, murder, corruption and greed: finally the real stuff that Sundays were made for!

Aside from the shivery excitement of season 6, not much has been happening here in the land
that time forgot. Springtime is struggling to turn that final corner, and I don't think it can happen soon enough. We need some light and some heat and we need it now.



bs

3 comments:

RJ March said...

It's snowing here, which puts a little weight on the spirit, go figure.

Loved Sunday night's show. Loved Carmella's gushing love of sushi. I know it all means something, but I haven't thought about it hard enough yet to make it out.

Just a chest/sinus thing here-- no big deal. A little dull-witted is all.

Brown Shoes said...

Dull witted is EXACTLY how I feel as well. My mind is like a cotton ball, a circus peanut... dust.
Luckily American Idle was on last night - the perfect thing for a disengaged brain.
I'm still voting for the Grey Boy all star, though Mandisa and that McPhee girl did well also.
Poindexter has got to go.


bs

Mom said...

American Idle. exactly. I have such a love/hate relationship with that show. I wish I had no relationship with it at all, but alas and a-lack, I am not immune. Grey Boy all the way I say and I wish Mandisa could share it with him--either one would do. Simon loves Mandisa, thank the God of Big Women. I hate Paula. I hate Randy. I hate/love Simon. And I love all this Soprano writing you blogists are doing because I get to share vicariously, even though I haven't seen it and won't see it until it comes out on DVD. We are just finishing up Season 5, doling the episodes out like a jar of the best cookies--one at a time, very slowly. Glad you are back writing Brownshoes! Stay healthy!