Saturday, March 18, 2006

Everything must go

For the past 2 days, I've been helping my friend J. get ready for her
post-divorce/pre-moving garage sale.... and listening as my old friend C.
struggles to accept that her father will be dead by June.
Meanwhile, the weather continues to be erratic: some sun, some rain -
then wind and gloom, followed by a sudden 50 degree afternoon.
Change - it's everywhere.
J. says she feels okay about it all: the divorce, the sale, the move,
and I think she mostly does. But it has been bittersweet,
watching her untangle herself from her husband of 19 years.
C. says she's ready, she sees the writing on the wall -
but there will be no untangling herself from what comes next.
What to keep, what to let go of - if only those questions were less painful to ask.
Or easier to answer.
In my free time, I keep cleaning out my closets;
some literal,
some figurative,
all too full of what I cannot keep.

In the end, everything must go.
We all know that,
it's just easier to live as if we don't.




bs

3 comments:

Mom said...

The Springtime always makes me want to get rid of things and start over--maybe I will die in the Spring of some future year...that would be the ultimate getting rid of and if I believed in certain things, which I guess I don't, the ultimate starting over.

On a related subject I am insensed today at the bad rep Atheists are getting. Apparently it's our fault, every one of us, that Christmas is the Winter Holiday and that Easter Break is Spring Break. Hell, I don't care what you call it! And I like hymns with God in them, even though I don't believe there is one! So there!!!!!

RJ March said...

bs, The Greek has printed some "interview" or whatever about herself-- funny stuff! The girl is deep indeed!

Triple Dog said...

It's all a purge, at times.

I've lost my car keys now for a week. Can't find them anywhere and as much as I love that we get to stay in this house while ours is being remodeled, I so want to lose my keys in my own house.